Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday ramblings...

If I could make Thursday video day, I can make today random day- correct?

***WARNING- this post is long and wordy. And I have no desire to shorten it, so read at your own risk***


My random thoughts- in no particular order of importance:

-I am alone right now. All alone in my house. Mike must have seen the need for escape on my face, and he offered to take Matthew out for the afternoon. Running errands, doing guy things I suppose. I could not be more content at this very moment. Let me first say, I love my son and my husband beyond belief. But I stay home with Matthew, day in, day out. I feed him all his meals, comfort all his cries, do my best at providing love and safety to him. I care for him when I am sick, for there are no sick days for stay-at-home moms. I could probably count on my two hands the amount of hours total I've been away from Matthew in (almost!) nine months. Sometimes a mommy just needs a break. A break from the crying, a break from the "needing", just, a break. I am getting this moment right now. And it is bliss. What did I do with my time? I vacuumed without a baby on my heals. I baked cookies without an interuption from anything. I folded laundry without taking three times as long because I had to stop what I'm doing to catch Matthew climbing in places he shouldn't. The best- I took a shower, long and hot, without a baby sitting in his bouncer seat just outside the doors or crawling around in the closet. I will be happy to have my boys home with me in a while, but for now, ahhhhh.....

-As I folded Matthew's laundry (about a week's worth), I realized at the end that there were NO burp clothes in there! What?!? Could we be nearing an end of the awful world of reflux?? We even decreased his Zantac dose about 5 days ago, and while the spitting up is not by any means gone, it is less. And less is good. I think we'll be cutting the last dose after his nine-month appointment (which, by the way, is Thursday).

-When my car was broken into a few days ago, it completely creeped me out. I am aware from what Mike found in the aftermath, that it was probably some dummy who drove by and saw the GPS and decided he wanted it. He busted my window, reached his (ok, or her...you never know) creepy hands into MY car and took what was not his. It was only my car, but somehow, it left me feeling violated and completely unsure of my surroundings here. You should never get too confident in your safety. Even the police were surprised it happened in this "quiet" neighborhood. I know it is wrong to feel vindictive, I am glad they were too dumb to figure out how to get the power cable out. Or the mounting braket. Ha. I was also slightly satisfied that it appears someone cut themselves on the glass. I should not be glad about this, but I am. That's what you get. And the CSI detective in me would love to run a DNA on it. :-)

-I am still breastfeeding Matthew. I never, ever thought I would still be breastfeeding him at 9 months. Now making it to a year seems easier. And if I don't even make it more than another month, I am fine with it. I am proud for providing this to my son. It seems a blessing that I am made to be able to provide this nutrition and immunities to my child. In the same light, I don't care what you (you being anyone) feed your kid. I believe formula is excellent nutritionally for infants. Matthew now gets one formula bottle a day, and I don't feel guilt or bad feelings about it. To me, it's just another type of nutrition. I think there are a lot of people who think if you're pro-breastfeeding, that your anti-formula. This could not be any further from the truth in my case.

-On that note, I think I'm hoarding breastmilk. This makes me laugh just typing it. Until about a month or so ago, I pumped once a day to get a "freezer stash" of milk. Since I am not against formula, and since that's what I usually give when he gets a bottle, there is plenty of milk in there. I thought I would probably not be breastfeeding still, so when I pumped I thought the pumped stuff could at least give him one bottle a day of milk. I am now using it, before it goes bad.

-I have become cheap. Or thrifty. You say toMAYto, I say toMAHto. I have found blog after blog explaining to me how I can save money. It all makes complete sense now, and I have become obsessed with clipping coupons. What I have learned is: coupons save you an amazing amount of money when you wait for items to go on sale. And generic does not always = cheaper, if you do the sales/coupons right. Example- I used to buy generic shampoo. It's cheaper than the namebrand. But now, I have the coupon, I find the shampoo on sale, I get it cheaper. Even free. I have gotten shampoo, conditioner, styling products, toothpaste, food products for FREE. I have gotten other things for $0.50 for less. I colored my hair for $1.99. You also have to buy when the price and deal is right, not when you "need" it. Like, I used to buy shampoo when I needed it. Now I buy it when I can get it free or for very cheap and just have extras around the house. I mean, if they're going to give it away, I may as well take it. This works well with food too, but my pantry isn't big enough to really get a stash going. The other thing I learned is that buying in bulk does not always = cheaper. You have to do the per item price on that and then figure it out. I was buying diapers in bulk (from Costco). I now know that with the right coupon and the right sale, I can get the same diapers for a lot less. I get a not-so-small feeling of satisfaction when I go to the grocery store and the bill is $75, then they apply my discounts and I only pay $30 for it. I have no time, or desire the find the deals myself. So I wait for someone else to find it, post it to their blog, and then I get the same deal. I have a lot to learn, but oh, this is fun. See? I'm obsessed. It's a game.

-The above came as a result of our new financial plan. We have made appropriate sacrifices for me to be able to stay home with Matthew. We rarely eat out. We have a cap on how much money we can spend each month on ourselves (I haven't had a haircut since September). We clip coupons :-). Perhaps the biggest sacrifices were Mike getting rid of his motorcycle and car and getting a much cheaper car to replace. We do what we have to do, and thus far, it's working for us.

I'm out of random thoughts. Well, I have more, but the boys are still gone and I feel the need to be completely lazy in front of the TV. There better be something good on.

I commend you if you made it this far. I bet you all hope they don't leave me alone again anytime soon!

2 comments:

Miranda said...

Yay for random thoughts!

bella said...

I loved this whole thing!!!!