Friday, January 24, 2014

Brotherly love.

If someone had told me years ago that I was going to be a mom to all boys, I probably would have laughed.  I always thought I'd have girls.  I KNOW girls. Girls scare the shit out of me when they're teenagers, but I know girls.  I am one after all.  But then I had Matthew.  And then Caleb.  And then when I was pregnant with Adam I found myself silently hoping for another boy.  Or a girl. Really, I had gotten to the point where either would have been perfect.  I was trusting in that whatever kind of mom I was supposed to be, I would be.  I love my boys with all my heart and soul and honestly, cannot even fathom this any differently.  The only tiny glimmer of "aww, boo!" I get is when I think about the friendship my mom and I have now that I'm an adult, and I feel like that part is what I will miss.  So I guess these boys better become my friends when they're grown and out of my house.  

Anyway, as we got closer to baby getting here, Mike and I both started to worry about Caleb.  He was a mama's boy through and through and what in the world would he do when he had to share me with Adam?!?  I admit, he took me being in the hospital for 6 days quite harshly and by the time I got home he wanted nothing to do with me.  It was as if I didn't exist in his world. Wouldn't hug me, wouldn't kiss me, and this broke my heart into a million pieces.  I also couldn't pick him up for weeks, so that added to the major suckage of the situation.  

I am happy to tell you he loves me again. But more than that, holy crap does he love his baby brother!! He is quite honestly obsessed with him.  He loves to hold him, loves to give him kisses, loves to check on him when he's sleeping.  And Matthew has stepped into the roll of biggest brother just perfectly.  He even told me one day "sometimes I like to just stare at him because he's so cute."  

So.  These boys.  Oh these boys.  They are my treasures.  I shall guard them with my heart.
















No comments: