Sunday, April 8, 2012

The day you were born...

Oh sweet Caleb.  I can't believe it's been over 2 weeks since you came out to meet us! Since I had a scheduled c-section to have you, there's not too much of a birth story to tell, but there are pictures.  Oh are there pictures!

Mommy was scheduled to have you on March 21, 2012.  The days leading up to it were a little bit eventful.  When I went for my pre-surgical appointment on Monday March 19th, I had high blood pressure and was sent to labor and delivery for monitoring.  There was some back and forth on whether they were going to just do the c-section on that day, but in the end, my blood pressure was perfect when I was laying on my side, and all my labs came back normal, so they let me wait.  I would have been fine either way, I was so excited to meet you!

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012, Daddy and I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am and checked into day surgery.
Shortly after checking in, we were brought back where I changed into the lovely hospital gown and got set up with my IV and they hooked me up to monitors to see how you were doing.  As always, you looked fantastic.  Ironically, I was having fairly consistent contractions at this point.  I never did ask the doctor if she thought that meant anything, but I can tell you they were coming very regularly the whole time I was hooked up.  There was a lot of waiting at this point.  I got some pre-meds, Daddy went and had a very quick vending machine breakfast, and we met the anesthesiologist and all the OR staff.  I wasn't feeling nervous at all.  All I could think about was how in just a little bit of time I was meeting my sweet boy! 


(waiting...surgery was scheduled for 7:30am)


Last picture of us with you INSIDE my belly.

Daddy got changed into his surgical scrubs and waited outside the OR while I got my spinal (numbing medicine) put in. This probably didn't take as long as it felt to me, but this is the time I started to get a bit nervous.  The thought of that needle in my back just made me so anxious.  Luckily, I had a good doctor who did a great job getting it inserted. He was also proactive in making me feel better after it was in, as I had told him my history of getting pretty sick after the epidural I had when Matthew was born.  As soon as I felt myself feeling nauseous and dizzy, he gave me medicine in my IV to make it better.  It worked quickly and soon enough I couldn't feel anything from about my breastbone down.  Strange, strange feeling.

Let's do this.  Ready to meet you.
(Look away for the next few photos if you're squeamish....no, I'm not showing you my open abdomen, but there is some blood).

Here you are!!! Making your debut!  That lady holding you? That's my doctor, Dr. B.  She is a fabulous OB and I am so happy I chose her to be my doctor. 
At this point, we still weren't sure of your name.  We had two options ready to go, and pretty much as soon as we saw you we decided on Caleb.  Caleb Marc.  You were born at 8:01am.

The doctor prepared me for some "tugging and pulling", as you were quite high in my belly.  Daddy watched as you were taking out of my belly, and the moment I heard your sweet (and loud) cry, I burst into tears.  I had been waiting for this and there really is nothing quite like hearing your baby cry for the first time. 

Getting checked out.  You scored a 9 on both of your Apgars.  Overachiever.

We got a quick picture with you, before Daddy brought you to the nursery for for your assessment and bath. At this point, I stayed in the OR a bit longer.  As my OB told me later, the c-section took about 10 minutes, but she spent about 30 minutes "cleaning me up."  Some may remember the horrific healing (or should I say non-healing) experience I had after Matthew was born.  This left a lot of scar tissue and adhesion's on my bladder.  My doctor was determined to get it looking "as pretty" as she could.  I am thankful for that and my incision/scar looked better 3 days after this c-section than it did 3 years after my first one. 


Daddy stayed with you in the nursery and took lots of pictures so that Mommy wouldn't miss out on a thing. After I was finished in the OR, I went to the recovery room for close to an hour.  All I could think about was getting to my room so I could hold and nurse you.  I must have asked my recovery nurse 8 times "when do I get to go see my baby?"  She was very sweet and got me back to my room as soon as she could. 



As they wheeled my bed to my room, we passed the nursery and there you were, right in the window with Daddy right next to you! I cried again seeing you, knowing you were right there behind the glass and I still had to wait to hold you.  This is perhaps my least favorite part of getting a c-section.


Once back in my room, I got word that you still needed to have a bath before you would be brought to me.  Ugh.  More waiting. 
Daddy continued to take pictures and came to my room at one point to show them to me.

All clean.

Footprints!

Meet your mama!  Finally.  Finally, you were brought to my room and I got to hold you for the first time!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how beautiful you were.  Just perfection.  I was able to nurse you right away and let me tell you, there was never an awkward moment. You just latched right on and have been an expert nurser ever since.  I really lucked out with that one.






Daddy got his fair share of holding time too.  Look how happy he is to have you here!!


We went back and forth on having big brother Matthew come to the hospital on Day 1 to meet you.  I wasn't sure I wanted him to see ME looking rough from surgery, but as luck would have it, day 1 was actually the best day. I was still quite numb from surgery, so I wasn't in lots of pain yet.  Babci brought Matthew to the hospital in the afternoon of your birth day. I had a hard time holding in the tears as I watched my two sons meet for the first time.  Two sons.  Ahh...love.

Meet your Big Brother, Matthew.
(who was completely fascinated by all the tubes and medical equipment I had hooked up to me)



 Meet your Babci.





And that was your birthday.  The day you met mama, dada, Matthew and Babci. The day you joined us and made us officially a family of 4.  We love you with all our heart and souls, dear Caleb.  Welcome to the family!
xoxoxoxoxoxo

1 comment:

rose said...

Awesome, so super sweet post Lynnie! It made me cry! Wonderful pictures! I'm so happy for you all!