Saturday, November 29, 2008

Home sweet home.

Matthew and I had a great trip to Connecticut, but once again, it is so nice to be home. It was a long day of traveling back here, and I was pretty ready to rip my hair out by the end of the plane ride. The second flight was almost 5 hours long, which is just too long for a baby. He slept a little bit, cried a lot, and ate a lot. Mike was at the airport to pick us up and then into the car for our 3+ hour drive home we went. We didn't realize how hard it would be to find an open place to eat lunch on thanksgiving, but Burger King did the trick. Once home, Boss was so happy to see everyone, and Matthew seemed happy to be home as well. We decided not to go to the neighbors house, as we were home later than expected and Matthew and I had been up since before 4 am (which is 1 am our time). Exhaustion had set in for sure. Mike went out to walmart to buy food, but while he was gone, our sweet neighbors sent their daughters over with 2 plates of Thanksgiving food. All the good stuff. It was so sweet, and may I add, SO yummy. It was very nice to have some real Thanksgiving food for the holiday. We were definitely thankful to them for their thoughtfulness and generosity. Matthew was asleep by 6:30PM and I wasn't too far behind him at 8. Mike took night duty for me, and I slept better than I had since before Matthew was born. (until last night...he did night duty again and I got SO much uninterrupted sleep I felt like a new woman when I woke up...at 5 am...)

Black Friday. What. Is. That? Yikes. I decided to give it a go, since I've usually had to work that day, I was available to shop. Of course, I got a later start than expected (didn't leave the house until 5:15). I arrived at Sears at 6 and could barely get in the store. There were lines and people going haywire. I was able to just ask an employee, who told me the item I wanted was sold out, and I promptly left. While it did cross my mind to still try to hit up toys r us, target, and bed bath and beyond, as originally planned, I thought better of it and decided to call it a day. That's right. I got up at 4 to drive 40 minutes to go shopping, and all I ended up with was one very delicious Gingerbread latte. I will never do that again. ever. ever. ever. Later that day, I ordered a bunch of the stuff online, with free shipping, and realized I love the internet.

Today we will put up our tree and all our decorations. I love Christmas time. The house always looks so festive and fun! How fun that Matthew will be celebrating his very first Christmas this year! Hopefully it'll be slightly more exciting than his Thanksgiving, although we have absolutely nothing planned. We will simply enjoy our first Christmas as a family of 3...uh...I mean 4 (sorry Boss).

No comments: