I haven't spent much time mentioning the world of cloth diapers on here. I know most people reading don't really care. In fact I also know there are quite a few who would label anyone in this "day and age" kukoo for using cloth. I know most of my friends and family are not of the green living, budget friendly variety. So, I don't mention it.
I actually do have a bit of an addiction to the world of cloth. There are several blogs I read, mostly for the awesome giveaway contests they tend to have. What I have learned over time are the main reasons for switching to cloth. People who use them tend to be: (1) eco-friendly, green-living sort of folks (I would say this is a large part of the community. These are the ones who will give you the statistics on landfills and chemicals in disposables.); (2) people watching their budget (me); and (3) people who use them out of necessity. I'd say the top "necessity" reasons are those who can't afford disposables (let's be honest, disposables are expensive...even store brands, even with coupons) and those who have babies with skin that just can't handle the chemicals in disposables. Yes, there are actually babies who react poorly to them, and cloth is really the best solution.
I admit, using cloth diapers did not initially appeal to me. I did some homework and decided the cost difference would be worth it (let's remember we're a one-income family. We did not make the choice lightly for me to be a stay-at-home mom, but we knew it was what we wanted for our family and we knew it would mean keeping a budget, and yes, even making sacrifices). Even still, there have been more then one occasion where something gross happened (all you need to know) and I thought "what the what? I'm crazy.". And then I remembered it's pretty gross in a disposable diaper too. (Also I cheat and use flushable liners a lot of the time, which makes clean up 90% easier). As for cost, well, there are lots of people who cloth diaper who spend large amounts of money on them (you would not believe what some folks would pay for certain dipes!), but there are also ways to do it that save loads of money. The clincher for me was I plan to have another kid (still confident this *will* happen for me!), and I'll already have diapers for that kid. With the exception of maybe 2 diapers in my stash (one- the lining came apart; two- the velcro is worn (easily replaceable if only I could sew!), the rest all still look like new. You'd never know someone's been peeing and pooping in them. For realz. Also, it's not an all or nothing thing for me and my family. He uses disposables for school, when traveling, and on a few other occasions--still not enough that it makes anything cost a whole lot more.
Another thing I've learned, it is so easy to get sucked into the cute factor. This weekend there have been a ton of fabulous deals, and although I should hope my kid is potty trained within the next 6 months, I couldn't stand it. You all know I cannot pass up a good deal! A local store here had sales, a $10 off coupon they sent out, and qualified for "small business Saturday"--which meant I got to buy 2 new diapers, basically for free. I took this opportunity to buy 2 I haven't tried before because they're more then I would spend, and also because we really didn't need anymore. But free is free, and cheap is me! Weeeeeee!
It's cow print! And lined with the softest fleece I've ever felt! And so cute on my boy!
This is what the cloth diapering world would call a "fluffy butt".
Now listen. I'm not asking you to like it. I'm not asking you to understand it. But I don't ever, would never, critize you for the choice you make as far as what your kid poops in--so it'd be nice if people wouldn't criticize moi for the same thing.
And what I am asking is, please, please acknowledge the CUTE! Hee hee!



5 comments:
Adorable Lynn!
I would seriously consider this as an option if we didn't have to send the girls to daycare. But for us it seems silly to invest the money in the diapers when they can't wear them to daycare.
But I would do it totally for the money savings if it were a plausible option for us!
OMG so cute! I would totally go cloth if I sah, totally. They're so adorable and I'm cheap!
Thanks ladies!
I am loving your positivity! And I understand- I for sure wouldn't use them if he weren't at home with me. It would defeat the purpose if I had to buy the disposables anyway.
The cow print is ADROABLE!!! I'm with you...it's ALL about the CHEAP!! Pretty much the ONLY reason we do it. The Disposable liner thing sounds inviting...but...it negates my cheap, so I will put up with the occassional grossness. LOL
Great Blog Post!
So cute!! What brand is that?
When I was at my parents this weekend I went to Jillian's Drawers and ended up getting a couple pre-folds and covers and one pocket diaper to just try again. I'm a glutton for punishment, but I really hope they work this time! The waste and the $ made me try one more time now that he seems to have outgrown most of his sensitivity (and has stopped pooping 12-15 times/day which I think is what caused his issues).
Post a Comment