Since I have nowhere else to post about little successes (little??? I think not!), they go here. I think it's generally frowned upon to post potty talk on facebook. Well, maybe not frowned upon, but you do run the risk of ending up with your status submitted to the lovely website making fun of parents who over share on facebook. And while I can sort of see their point sometimes- I mean, I know not everyone on facebook is a parent or wants to be a parent or cares about parenting- I can't say my first urge today wasn't to go post a status shouting to all my "friends" my son's potty business. Because it was. But I didn't. I can sort of understand, seeing as there may or may not have been a time when I hid all my pregnant friends statuses so I wouldn't have to read over and over about "yay I'm pregnant" or "oh damn being pregnant sucks" or "I'm the most blessed person alive because I'm pregnant and here are all my ultrasound pictures for all you non-pregnants to look at". I mean, I was truly happy for them, but that doesn't mean, that at the height of my "I-just- had-2-miscarriages-so-I-must-be-broken-grief", I wanted to read about it. Oh I'm past that now, but there was definitely a few months. Anyway, point is, if you're here, we should have a clear understanding right now that most of this blog is about my kid. And what it's like to parent my kid. And how cute my kid is :-). Therefore, here you have it. Potty talk. Oh boy! (side note: if you don't like it, I'm assuming you know no one is twisting your arm and telling you to read it. Right??)
So, potty talk. I have to say, there's no real hardcore potty training going on here. I'm just looking for a sign, any sign, that maybe he's gonna start to get it. And by get it, I just mean, understand that pee pee and poo poo is so much neater when it goes straight from the source into the potty. Cut that middle man (the diaper) out. I have no intention of rushing this, just putting the idea out there into his world.
Oh, ok, I did go all sorts of crazy today (I blame the virus still coursing through my bod) and buy a bunch of "big boy" underwear. And yes, some pull-ups, even though I've heard maybe they're not the best for potty training because of their likeness to diapers. I still bought them. He has gone numero uno into the potty several times in the last few days, but that big bad numero two (ha!) has been eluding us.
Well, thankfully my boy is happiest when naked. Because you see, I bought the big boy underwear, washed them, and then the fear of all that is good and Holy coursed through my body at the thought of (gasp!) poo poo actually being put into said underwear. I mean, I know that's likely to help him learn and all that, but yikes. Poo undies make me want to curl up in a ball in the corner rocking back and forth. And I do cloth diaper, so you'd think it wouldn't. But it does- so anyway. My kid's a semi-nudist and LOVES to prance around in the buff. He runs through the house shouting with the happiest glee when we allow him "naked baby time". Yes, I know he's not technically a baby anymore, but the phrase was coined long long ago. So my fear, and his glee, led to us (well, him, not us) spending the afternoon naked from the waist down. Something in me thought maybe, just maybe, he would feel slightly less then civilized if he actually took a dump on the floor. I mean, in his pants, fine. But actually crouching and dumping on the floor? No way, right???
Several false alarms...in which I think he was just managing to hold it longer because he certainly did not want to poo in the potty. Not I said Matthew. Then, out of nowhere. The kid holds his bum, screaming "poo poo! poo poo!" and runs into the bathroom. Where I plop him on the potty and in 1.2 seconds it was all over. Poo in the potty!!!!
And just like that, I now understand the excitement parents talk about. You would have thought this mommy won the lottery by the dancing and celebrating that went on! And the pride on my face was certainly mirrored on Matthew's face- he was beaming I tell you.
So to sum it up, my kid pooped on the potty for the first time in his little life today. I'm so proud, he may as well be president or something.

2 comments:
YAY!! Go Matthew!
Lily has one used the big girl potty to poo 3 times and it was all on the same day. She has totally gone backwards, where before she at least would pee in the potty...now she has ZERO interest. So we are taking a break for a while and hoping she shows some interest in it again soon!
Good Luck!
Yay Matthew! You are such a big boy.
Love the post Lynn! It is so exciting that they are finally starting to get it. I can't believe our little guys are growing up so fast!
Post a Comment