Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Extra thoughts and prayers please.

I truly believe there can never be too many people praying for something.  And if you don't pray, you could always send some healing energy, positive thoughts, whatever it is you do.  Because of that, I thought I'd go ahead and put in a prayer request for my sweet little cousin.  Ok, she's my cousins daughter so she's my second cousin, or ya know, something like that.  She is a sweet 4 year old (5 next month), who loves princesses and looks pretty darling in her ballerina outfit.  Her name is Lauren, and a few weeks ago she was diagnosed with leukemia ( a form of cancer of the blood).  She has been in the hospital ever since, receiving numerous pokes and tests and treatments.  She has started her chemo, and apparently her hair is just starting to fall out.  She has fabulous parents, a sweet baby (2 year old) sister, and tons of family and friends supporting her.  Hopefully she will go home from this hospitalization soon, but will continue with chemo and treatment for quite some time. 

As most of you know, I spent about 5 years of my life working as a child life specialist in a pediatric oncology unit.  I have seen first hand the hell this can be on a child and family.  There is so much involved- so much  more then just treatment.  Where do you stay while she's in hospital? Who takes care of the sibling? How do we keep the house clean enough to be as germ-free as possible? How do we keep things as normal as possible for her?  As luck would have it, children are extrememly resilient little people, much more so then adults, that's for sure.  These rough things they are asked to go through to get well again, and yet they still play and smile when they can.  I can remember more then one sweet little 4 year old girl, bald as can be, dressed in princess clothes, inviting me to tea parties in their hospital rooms.  I even still have a picture of myself, sitting on a hospital bed sipping "tea" (ahem, apple juice) and wearing a princess crown.  Oh the things we'd do to make a kid happy!  Anyway, all that to say, you never, ever imagine that kid could be someone you know.  Not that I think I'm immune to such things, just that it's not something you imagine.  My heart goes out to anyone walking this journey with their child- but right now, most importantly, to my cousin, his sweet wife and their 2 beautiful girls.

So please, if you can, if you will, send some prayers up for Lauren and her family! Any and all will do.

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Oh Lynn. I'll be thinking of her and your family. I can't even begin to imagine how scary it all must be for you all.