Ok. So the NYC trip was pretty much a month ago now. I've been wanting to update about it for a while, but for some reason one thing or another got in the way. Most recently, the last 2 days anytime I went to get onto blogger the site was down. Boo! :-(
Mike and I were able to get away for a glorious 3 night trip to New York City!! By ourselves. No toddler in tow. This was a fabulous, fabulous occasion I tell you. Our first get away without child, since he was born. Hey, I love my kid, but every now and then you just need a break. Time to be grown ups. Time to have no curfew. Time to drink wine. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Anyway, the main purpose of our trip was to go see Saturday Night Live. I am most fortunate enough to have a little brother who just so happens to have a best friend who is an actor on SNL. It's so weird- I mean, to him, this is just his bff, the same guy he's been friends with for years, no biggie. For us, he's a guy we watch on TV every Saturday night. So to say the least, I'm a bit star-struck by my brothers friend. (Interesting, I met him once before he was on TV and THEN he was just my brothers friend....) You keeping up?
Anyway, so my brother got us some tickets and we decided to make a long weekend of it. It was great fun. We chose not to push ourselves to rush, rush, rush and see and do everything imaginable in New York (hey, there's a time and a place for this...but we've both been to New York before, and didn't feel any sort of need to do such things on our ONE romantic weekend away). Instead, we took the leisure approach. Eat when we want, where we want. Walk the city. Roam. Really, the only thing on our agenda was to meet my brother Saturday afternoon, and go to SNL in the evening. Everything else was fair game.
So we wondered to Times Square:
Anyway, so my brother got us some tickets and we decided to make a long weekend of it. It was great fun. We chose not to push ourselves to rush, rush, rush and see and do everything imaginable in New York (hey, there's a time and a place for this...but we've both been to New York before, and didn't feel any sort of need to do such things on our ONE romantic weekend away). Instead, we took the leisure approach. Eat when we want, where we want. Walk the city. Roam. Really, the only thing on our agenda was to meet my brother Saturday afternoon, and go to SNL in the evening. Everything else was fair game.
So we wondered to Times Square:


We ate hot dogs on the street:
Our jaws dropped as we checked out the price of groceries in the heart of the city:
(umm, yes, that's for ONE box of cereal)
We took in a show:
And we chugged coffee late afternoon on Saturday in preparation for being up until 4AM:
(p.s. the coffee did little to help. By 2AM I was what you would call a walking zombie, barely able to form complete sentences. Oh my how the times how changed!! This mama never stays up that late!)
We had a fabulous time. Just the two of us. Mike and Lynn. It was wonderful, very good, fantastic.
Then came Saturday night, and it was surreal. After dinner with my brother at a fabulous hole in the wall Brazilian restaurant we just happened to come upon, we headed to 30 Rock. We got there mid-dress rehearsal, so we hung out in Bobby's dressing room, watching the run through on the TV in there.
(me and my brother, Dan)
When it was time for the show, Mike and got in line and were brought into the theater. We didn't have the greatest seats, but they were, as we like to call them "the best seats in the worst section of the place." It didn't matter- it was just so cool to be there, who cares if we weren't front and center (ok...front and center would have been pretty damn cool).
After the show, we were able to get a little tour of the stage area, and take a few photos.
From there, we hopped in a limo and we driven to the after party.
(when the actors leave the building, there is a line of limos and town cars waiting to take them to the party. They keep the location hush hush and it changes every week, to keep the party private).
The after party was pretty cool, even if I was too tired to make conversation with people. We had a few drinks and appetizers. Our table had a few other actors and their friends at it, which was cool even if we didn't mingle with them at all. Everywhere I turned there were famous people. SNL actors, the musical guest and their dates (The Foo Fighters), random other celebs (Daryl Hannah, Steve Martin), the host (Helen Mirran....who sat less than a foot away from me sipping her martini). It was wild I tell you! We didn't take any pictures while in there, trying not to be too dorky. We left a while later, and got dropped back at our hotel....at 4 am, or something like that. I was perhaps drooling by this point, definitely with bloodshot eyes.
I wish I had taken more pictures, but we were too busy enjoying ourselves to stop every 5 feet to snap a photo. I'll definitely remember this trip for a long time!
And of course, we've since decided, Mommy and Daddy need to do more trips together in the future!
:-)







1 comment:
What a great experience!! Glad you two were able to have a weekend just to yourselves. :)
Post a Comment