Friday, July 4, 2008

Part TWO





(you might want to read the previous post first to get in chronological order.)

July 1st, con't-

Immediately the nurse helped me with my first attempt at breastfeeding Matthew. As this was a long day and I was on some pain medicine, I must say I don't remember every little detail. It was short and I don't really think much happened. A long night was ahead of us, with no sleeping happening for mom. I began having some issues with what was most likely my blood sugar. They paged my doctor around 11:30 because of my sugars being high (so much for "immediate" relief of the gestational diabetes! I am ALWAYS the exception to every rule.) He had me take my blood sugar meds and changed my fluids to one with less sugars. This seemed to help a lot and I started feeling better.

The Keenan family attempted a first night together, Matthew being in his little bed between my bed and Mike's bed. At some point in the evening, he was brought by my nurse to his nurse in the nursery because of some gagging issues. I had awoken to the sounds of Matthew gagging and called the nurse. She found that he had vomited frothy mucus in his bed. He had his stomach "cleaned" with a tube put down his mouth. While the tube was down, they also gave him a little bit of formula to get some food in him. When he was brought back to me, he immediately threw up all the formula and then some. I held him and he suddenly looked very different than he previously had. He was extremely lethargic and just not right- this was mommy intuition anyway. The nursery staff decided to page his pediatrician to find out what should be done (I think this was around 2:30 AM). At 4 AM, Matthew was put in the nursery for good, and I cried and cried that I had to be away from him.

It was explained to us that they were worried Matthew had some kind of infection and that he needed several things done. Blood was drawn for multiple tests, chest and tummy xrays were taken, and 2 IV antibiotics and fluids were started. They explained that they start the antibiotics on newborns before the 48 hour results of the cultures for infection come back, because if they have something, it can turn into sepsis quickly.

Wednesday was rough as well. Matthew was unable to hold down even the tiniest amount of water. He was throwing up stomach stuff and gagging a lot. They made him NPO (nothing by mouth) until noon. I was pumping and giving my colostrum to the staff to syringe feed him. At 12, they decided they had to wait until 2:30 because he had just had another gagging episode. All this time I was not able to see him, because I was not allowed out of bed until a certain time. Finally, they got me up and I was able to ride in a wheelchair to see him (sometime in the afternoon). I attempted breastfeeding, but again, with his sick tummy, he couldn't really do much. The nurse gave him some of my pumped colostrum with a syringe and apparently he later threw that all up. I had a very emotional and difficult day. I was so sad to see him this way and the "unknown" of what was wrong was just scary. Add to that the CRAZIEST hormones going on, and I was just a mess.

Around midnight we experienced a bit of a turn around, when he had his first very successful breastfeeding session with me. Then another at 4 AM, and another around 8:30 AM (thursday). Thursday was his day of improvements. We made pretty steady progress all day. He wasn't the biggest eater, but his tummy had been pretty sick, so I had to keep reminding myself that he needed to get used to eating.

Friday morning- July 4th- the BEST day. We found out that Matthew and I would BOTH be discharged together. The cultures were all negative for infection and the pediatrician really feels like Matthew just had a more difficult time making the transition into the world. He explained that this is not that uncommon and that he was doing pretty much all better. Relief is the best word to describe feeling. The issues we have to deal with are minor and not uncommon newborn issues. He likes to sleep a lot and really doesn't have a whole lot of awake time yet. He pretty much has to be woken up to nurse, because he doesn't tend to wake himself up. Yet. I say this, but Matthew really does change by the hour.

SO, we, the Keenan family, got home around 1:30 PM today. Boss is completely weirded out by our new family member and does not know what to think of him. Matthew has been a sweet heart- already nursed twice at home (and of course to prove mommy wrong again- he did actually wake himself to eat the last time.) I am taking the time to write this because Babci (grandma) wanted to have some holding time in, so he is sleeping soundly in her arms. I also figured time is not something I will have much of, so do it while I can. PLUS, a lot of people want to know what went down, and this way it saves me a LOT of phone calls and emails with the same story.

We are home. We are happy and in love. This boy is truly amazing. (and did I mention, so dang CUTE I can't even stand it?!?!)

4 comments:

Allyson said...

Hi, Lynn. You don't know me, but I graduated from CHS with Mike. Just wanted to say congratulations!! Matthew is adorable. Best wishes to the Keenan family!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Lynn and Mike!!! I am so happy for you guys!! Hug baby Matthew for me!!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

He is so incredibly adorable! Congrats on your new arrival and I know that you both will be amazing parents! I couldn't be happier for you both!

Much love,
Elizabeth "Crocker"

Anonymous said...

I love all the pictures...and getting to read the whole story. What an incredible couple of days...I tell ya! Again, he's perfect. PERFECT! Just beautiful, like his mommy. OK, dad, too.
I love you guys (all three), and miss you terribly!! I'm glad we got to talk before you went home. I'll give you this week to get yourself more of a schedule before I call. However, if you are bored, CALL ME!
Love,
Kel