Friday, July 4, 2008

Welcome to the World Matthew Daniel!!!


Hello!!!! "We're" back!! Let me try to tell my "birth" story and Matthew's life so far. I think it's easier to type it once, then to have to tell the same story over and over again to everyone!

Monday June 30th I was admitted to the hospital to begin my induction. At approximately 9 AM I started on medicine to "ripen" my cervix for labor and delivery. I was monitored for an hour after the med went in and then every hour for 15 minutes. I received mecication every 4 hours, for 4 doses- so my last one was around 9:45 PM. Monday was fairly uneventful and easy. I had consistent contractions for most of the day, but nothing very intense or painful- they were sort of just "there". After the last dose, they gave me a sleeping pill to help me rest that night. I actually slept some- not much, but some.

Tuesday July 1 at 6 AM they began my Pitocin, the drug used to "induce" labor. (According to the staff, they consider that the induction itself started Monday, with early labor beginning. Tuesday at the first dose of Pitocin began "active labor".) I am going to be skipping details because of it either all being a blur at this moment, or because they just aren't that important. What I do remember is Tuesday was one of the longest days of my entire life. The contractions became quite regular throughout the day and quite painful in my lower back and abdomen. I think it was sometime between 10 and 11 am that I got my epidural put it. The epidural was awesome and I would totally get one again. It is a weird sensation to be able to essentially move my legs and lower body a bit, but not really feel anything painful. A weird sensation...but AHH, a nice sensation! I had a surprising reaction to the epidural where my blood pressure (normally high, so they didn't think I'd have an issue) dropped suddenly to 70/40. At this time, I was gagging and dry heaving, losing my ability to speak, and pretty much the room was seeming further and further away from me. It was very scary for me, and I'm sure my husband, who was right by my side stroking my hair and being so sweet. I had to recieve 2 doses of epinephrine to get it back up and then I felt fine. The doctor decided to give me a lower constant dose as he was afraid it could happen again. It didn't, thank goodness.

So, labored all day with very little progress. I mean, I had progress in that I was having consistent, intense, appropriate contractions, however my cervix was not cooperating. At 3 PM I was only dialated to a 2, maybe 3, and the doctor started talking of the possibility of a c-section. He explained that in "normal" patients, he would probably recommend stopping the meds and letting the patient go home and try again in a few days (or something like that), but because of my different medical issues, he really wanted this baby delivered. I was basically given another 3 hours to show more progress. Well, 6 PM rolled around and no more progress-nothing at all. Yuck. Around 7 PM I was brought to the labor and delivery OR for my c-section. Mike was by my side and it was the oddest, yet fabulous experience. I have never cried so hard as I did when I heard the sound of Matthew crying as he was being pulled out from inside me. Matthew Daniel was born, on July 1st 2008, at 7:25 PM. He weighed 6 lbs., 12 oz. and was 19 inches long. He is absolutely beautiful. Amazing. Perfect.

At this point, while I was being put back together, Mike was with Matthew with the nursery staff getting him assessed and weighed and all that. He cut the umbilical cord and I watched it all happening from the table. Mike and staff got great pictures of all of this happening, including the birth (with not much gore in the pictures). Our brand new camera that we bought for this occasion, and that we had been using already and experienced that it took great pictures, really let us down. Somehow all the photos from the birth were deleted from the camera. We were quite upset when we realized it, but we have some other pretty early photos from my mom also, so at least we have that.

After I was finished, I was brought into my room (a family birthing room) to recover. Mike stayed with Matthew in the nursery until they could both join me in the room. It was approxiamately 45 minutes to an hour, and then we were together at last. The Keenan family- Mommy, Daddy and Matthew. A lot of love in that room.

(to be con't.......)

No comments: