What a quiet little Christmas we are having! I am very thankful for these two guys in my life. Words cannot describe how happy my Michael makes me and how in love with him I am! And what an absolute joy it is having Matthew in our lives. I love it.
So now that's it's the third year we are spending Christmas on our own, away from extended families, it's finally hit me. This is my family and now is the time to make new traditions. Sure, sure, this came after I shed some tears last night. It started with "what a pathetic dinner I've made for Christmas Eve" and turned to "but I miss my family!" After about 5 minutes, I collected myself and remember I must make the most of these holidays. Matthew is only going to be this age once, and I for one, want to cherish and remember all the things that make this time special for him. And us.
I mean, really. I'd have to be crazy to look at those two faces and not just be completely in love with what I have.
We had fun playing around and getting a few pictures in front of the tree last night. After our dinner, we set out to drive around the town and look at all the beautiful Christmas lights everyone had up. We had the radio set to the holiday station and enjoyed the precious peacefulness that is a small town on Christmas Eve. Matthew fell asleep in the car, and although it was early for bedtime, we allowed him that little catnap. We stumbled upon a house with a whole lights display set to music if you turned your radio to a certain station. It was very cool and I made a video of it, but you tube won't let me air it because the music is copyrighted. Didn't even think of that one.
Perhaps the sweetest thing to have under my Christmas tree:
Truly the best gift ever!
After we came home, we got Matthew ready for bed and read to him The Night Before Christmas.

Christmas morning we woke up and had a very busy morning opening gifts. Mike and I made efforts not to go overboard on gifts for Matthew this year. He's so young, and certainly has no need for tons and tons of pricey items. Plus we knew his grandparents would have no problems supplying lots of exciting toys for him.
Sure enough, Aunt Jenny and her family got Matthew this awesome rocking horse:
It was love at first sight. It took a while for him to open any presents as all he wanted to do was rock on his horse. He has been playing with it all day.
If Matthew's unwrapping looks "dainty", that's because it was. He really was not all that interested in opening gifts. We would get him to open something and then he'd have to play with the toy, book, whatever, for a while.
Daddy had lots of fun building with Matthews new blocks.
An example of the simple things. Babci got him a very simple plastic cup with his name on it. He carried it around the house all morning pretending to drink out of it.
We later put these fridge phonics on the fridge (novel idea, no?). He loves them!
Here he is taking it all in. He got lots of books, a new puzzle, an awesome new snowsuit, a keyboard, cars, and lots more.All sorts of stuff to keep him busy!
And here is some of my collection. Obviously someone knows how much I miss Texas:
Yes, yes- you are seeing correctly. A Texas shaped waffle maker! :-)
A few more things. I've already tried out one of the new Wii workouts, and we are currently watching a movie. Matthew is taking a much needed nap (hopefully long enough for us to finish the movie).
All in all, what a peaceful family day we've enjoyed.
Merry Christmas to all our loved ones!!













No comments:
Post a Comment