Sunday, September 26, 2010

I love family vacation.

A quick recap of our fabulous time together this past week! 

Saturday 9/18- drive to Florida. A few pit stops along the way...the most remarkable being a visit to the ER of a Children's Hospital.  We suspect "nursemaids elbow", but perhaps we'll never actually know. We went through triage, and they felt that's what it was based on Matthew not moving his arm and crying if he did. They put a sling on it and while we waited (about 30 minutes or so) to see the doctor, his arm was better. Literally, as if nothing had happened, better. I told the doctor she was the best we've ever had- healed him without ever seeing him! She did a quick exam, realized he was completely fine, and sent us on our merry way.  Arrived at Mike's parents house that night.

Sunday 9/19- spent a good part of the day at the beach.  Matthew LOVES the beach! He made a mess of sand everywhere and runs into the ocean without a care in the world. Someone has to be on him at all times, that's for sure. Not very relaxing, but certainly fun! Matthew loves the fish at Grandma and Grandpa's house. "Look, there's a fish!" 

Monday 9/20- Drive another 7 or so hours to my parents house.  Fairly uneventful drive, other then having to pull over and take Matthew out of his car seat so he could poop.  He doesn't like to/can't  poop while sitting in the seat, plus he had some *ahem* issues...poor boy sounded like he was giving birth. It was all very traumatic...for me.  What a relieved little boy he was when that was over. LOL- he's going to love that I included that part when he reads this when he's older.

Tuesday 9/21- Epcot all day. I'd have to say Matthew's favorite was the Monorail. He's obsessed with choo choo's, so riding the monorail was pretty much the coolest thing ever.  My favorite part just may have been the very refreshing frozen margarita my mom and I shared. Delicious.  Ate dinner at the little cafe my parents work at since my dad was working that night. Pretty sure they thoroughly enjoyed showing off Matthew to all their co-workers there.

Wednesday 9/22- Magic Kingdom all day.  So much fun! This park really is the epitome of Disney to me, I guess because it's the one I remember the most from childhood visits.  It really is so amazing going there with my child, and seeing it all through his eyes.  I think a few people think he's too young, and true probably won't remember too much, but *I* will remember. The look of amazement on his face when he saw Mickey for the first time, followed by complete shyness with him.  Watching his eyes as he took in every little thing on each ride we went on.  Seeing him smile, laugh, point, dance with the characters in the parade.  Yes, going to Disney is different with a small child, as you pretty much have to cater the day to them, but it's different in such a perfect way.  Would I have liked to stay out late and see the fireworks? Sure. But how fair would that be to my tired little man wiped out from a day full of magic and amazement?  I'd say we did just enough every day for all of us.

Thursday 9/23- Animal Kingdom all day.  Matthew loved the safari ride! Every time we hit a bump he'd shout "wee!" and he enjoyed seeing all the different animals.  Giraffes just a few feet from where we sat!  He also really enjoyed seeing the Finding Nemo show.  Nemo is somewhat new to him- he's seen it once I think, but we bought it and he watched in in the car on the way to Florida, so he was now more familiar with Nemo and would shout "Nemo" (pronounced Nem-o, not Neemo).  It was a long wait for the show to start, but he did amazing.

Friday 9/24- stayed at my parents house, doing laundry and putting up birthday decorations, relaxing a bit.  That night we had a birthday bash for my awesome, beautiful, handsome, so smart niece and nephew!!! 7 and 8 years old! What?!?!? I love them so much more then words can say- and I am so happy we were able to celebrate their birthdays in person this year, even if my little man was a tad whiny that evening.

Saturday 9/25- drive back to Mike's parents house. Pit stop to have lunch with Mike's friend from his college days. Matthew was also a tad whiny at that meal, and I don't think he ate a morsel of food, but who can blame him? He certainly had a FULL week.  I know Mike loved being able to see his buddy again, if only for a quick visit.  Arrive at grandpa and grandma's house and Matthew says "fish. Please. fish."  He loves those fish!

Sunday 9/26- LONG drive, but HOME again!  What a fabulous vacation!

2 very quick things worth noting-
Matthew slept in a big boy bed the whole time we were at my parents house. It was a twin size bed with a safety rail thing on the side.  Unbelievably, he had no problem with this.  Went right to bed without climbing out, and stayed there all night.  The last day he got out of bed in the morning to find us, but until then, he had just been waiting in bed for someone to get him.  What a big boy!!

Also, the week before we left, Matthew had suddenly spit out full sentences a time or two.  Took me by complete shock, as he didn't really have a whole lot of words (to our knowledge) and was still speaking mostly gibberish.  Anyway, this trend continued while we were gone. Out of nowhere, Matthew would just say something.  The one's I remember, probably because they were the most surprising:
"put me down."
"leave me alone!"
"I want to sit."
"I want milk please"
"look there's a ______(fish, turtle, Mickey, babci, mommy)"

This really amused and amazed us! I love him.

Pictures to come- haven't downloaded them yet, but wanted to get the recap written before I forgot.

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Sounds like the perfect vacation Lynn! Glad you guys had so much fun!