Sunday, June 1, 2008

He's a mover and a shaker

The last 3 days, my baby does nothing but move. I mean, not a little kick here, a wiggle there. I mean, my whole belly moves around and I can feel him stretching out his body like "what the heck! Can someone PLEASE give me some room in here?!?" Sometimes I even feel a little bad for him because it's like he really wants to stretch out and can't. But most of the time, I put my hands on my belly and think about how special this child is. Just when I worry that my body is failing him, he tells me "hey mommy- I'm fine! Feel me grove?" He is and will be just fine.

To fill you in on how important these movements are- the danger of having low fluid is that there isn't much room for things to float around in there. The worry is that he could sit on his cord, with no cushioning of fluid, and cut of his blood supply. As long as I feel movement, we know he is good to go. Also, so nobody gets too freaked out- I'm not so low yet that it's "danger zone". The healthy range is 5-25 (cm's I think?). I am 6.9 or something like that. So, there's not much in there, but it's not below normal. Obviously they like to have more fluid, but that's all I got right now. Why the low fluid? They aren't sure. It's either the hypertension, something with the placenta (they don't think so), or something completely unexplainable (they're leaning more towards this). There's your lesson in amniotic fluid for the day.

I had a short visit to labor and delivery yesterday. That's where I end up when something out of the ordinary happens on a night or weekend. Yesterday morning I started having some major eye disturbances- everything I looked at was squiggly and moving, for a good 30-45 minutes. The doctor thought everything was probably fine, since I checked my BP and it wasn't that high. But the only way to know for sure is to get checked. So, I go...my BP was great and they just hooked me up to the NST to check on the baby for an hour or so. He was excellent, as always. The funny part was he moved the entire test (and I have to push a button every time he moves, so the thing looked like I was trigger happy). Also, he got the hiccups while I was hooked up and I could feel and hear each one. It was so cool. They say the eye thing may just have been that my BP spiked up high for a short period of time and then came back down. It's apparently not as worrying when it's not consistently high. Phew. And, the nurse was so nice and reassured me that I did the right thing in coming in and being fine, then to sit home and do nothing. If it had been something, better that I be there.

So, now on to my Sunday. Pretty much looks like any other day of the week around here for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Party in mom's belly! :)
love,
Kel

wish_on_a_star said...

fun times! Sounds alot like my pregnancy....except I had too much amniotic fluid and I was worried that he would get his cord wrapped around his neck. And I had weekly NST tests, and gestational diabetes. So much to worry about! Can't wait to see his sweet face. Have fun feeling him move, once he is outta there you will miss it!