Monday, August 18, 2008

What's in a name

A few people have asked me about how we came to the name Matthew Daniel. Let me tell you...it was a long road! When Mike and I found out we were having a boy, the business of naming him began. We both came up with lists and would compare them. He would scratch off practically all of mine and I would oblige by scratching off almost all of his. In the end we had a few that we both agreed on, but none that we loved. SO- we decided to look at family names and see if we could find something meaningful...this worked out perfect.

Matthew- my grandmother (memere) on my Dad's side's maiden name was Mathieu. It is the french spelling of the name. We decided we loved the name, but wanted the Americanized version. Family name, just spelled different. (meaning- Gift of God)
Daniel- we then played around with our dad's names, and Mike's father won out. Daniel. (this also happens to be my brothers name...)

While more traditional of a name then I thought I'd go with, we BOTH instantly loved the name. And that's how we knew. :-)

No comments: