Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Matthew at 5 months

Just a few tidbits about Matthew these days. Patterns and routines sort of went out the window since he's a world traveller these days, but we're getting him back on track.

-he had some sleep "set backs" the past month, most likely due to travelling. He seems to be back to his old self- for the time being anyway.

-The great un-swaddling took place over Thanksgiving weekend. To our surprise, he must have been ready this time, because he's doing awesome. The first night I put a "lovey" by him and wouldn't you know- when he woke up he knew exactly what to do with it! He holds it close to his face and sucks his thumb to go back to sleep. So cute.

-On that note, he found his thumb. In a big way. He loves it. And while I know this can be a very bad habit for little ones to get used to, it works to soothe him. Plus, check out the evidence of how darn cute it it:
-He officially rolls over. And over. And over. We need to get to baby proofing, because I can now put him down to play on his quilt or gym. Turn my back for 2 minutes, and he's rolling around the living room. It's crazy. And the black dog hair that sticks to our carpet, also sticks to him. We'll have to figure that one out.

-All of a sudden, he likes to be on his tummy. Different perspective of the room I suppose.

-He's eating solid foods. A little bit at least. The pediatrician recommended we start trying them, and although I was *going* to wait until 6 months, we decided to give it a whirl. HOLY MOLY. My boy LOVES to eat. From the first moment the spoon went to his mouth, he knew exactly what to do with it. He reaches out both hands for the spoon in hopes that he can shove it in his mouth faster. I am only giving him about 1-2 T. of food at the moment, mostly because I do not want the food to replace any breast feedings just yet, so it's a bit of a "supplement". I don't know how long that will last since he loves it so much. So far he's had brown rice cereal, "oatmeal" cereal, banana, sweet potato and avocado. This weekend I cooked, pureed and froze up batches of sweet potato, butternut squash, green beans, pears and apples. So those will be his next foods. And yes, I am making all his baby food myself. It's fun for me (I love to cook) and it's definitely cheaper than the jars.

-Here's his face during his snack:
-Here's his face when he realizes the food is "all gone":
-As far as his size, he's growing. Still a little guy though for sure. He is now mostly in size 3-6 months, although still wearing some 0-3's. He graduated to size 2 pamper swaddlers, but the size 1's actually still fit him just fine. When people ask "aww, how old is your baby?" and I reply "5 months", the #1 response is always "Wow. He's a little guy." Yup. And I love me some little guy!
Matthew is such a little sweetie. I mean, sure I'm biased, but he's just that awesome. He smiles and laughs and squeals like a madman. Mike and I are enjoying every moment of him!

No comments: