Thursday, December 11, 2008

Rest in peace sweet man...

My dziadzieu. (for those not remembering: dziadzieu is Polish for Grandfather). Dziadzieu is hands down the sweetest man I've known. I have so many memories of him from when I was a kid and many as an adult. One Christmas Eve, dziadzieu, sweet old man that he was, gives me a hug and says "may you be happy. and may you finally meet a man and get married." All I could do was laugh, because coming from him at least, it was cute. Fast forward a few years later. My fiance comes home to CT with me for our engagement party. We go to the nursing home where dziadzieu has lived for the last 6 years (since his strokes). Dziadzieu, who cannot speak, used all the expressions in the world to let me know he approved of this man. He smiled more huge than I've ever seen him do and just continuously shook his hand; nodding and smiling and shaking his hand. And I knew. I knew what he meant, and was so proud to have that moment of happiness with him. Fast forward to last month. Dziadzieu was put on hospice and I just knew in my heart I had to get Matthew there for dziadzieu to meet him. It was another sweet moment for me, despite having to see him so frail and sick. Here he was- my last living grandparent, and he was able to meet my son. I will cherish that visit ALWAYS. He lived 96 years. 96. And when he died, this afternoon, it was time. My mom and dad were with him, and he died peacefully in his sleep, without pain. I know he is in a happy place right now. I know he is looking down on me and my boys and smiling. I will forever miss him.


Matthew's first visit with dziadzieu
Dziadzieu and I circa 2004

Checking out my son.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will always remember the smiling and hand shaking. It was a surreal moment. May he rest in peace, and enjoy the happier place he now lives.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. Has me crying. I know he is resting in peace because he knows you are happy and well taken-care of.
Talk soon.
Kel

Erika said...

What a beautiful post Lynn. Cherish those memories and pass them on to Matthew. It will mean the world to him too. Big hugs.

Chrissie, TJ and Tyler said...

That was so sweet, it made me cry. I'm so glad you got to go back with Matthew and see him before he passed on. Our thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Your memories will keep him close to your heart.