Monday, February 14, 2011

My Funny Valentine.

Long before there was a Mike, or a Matthew, there was a Rose.

You see, Rose is my bff.  She is the kindest, funniest, most thoughtful, most generous, most like-me friend I have.  We met in 1999 as child life interns, and despite distance and life changes, we will always be friends.  I am quite confident that when we're old and grey, we will still be friends.  And more then likely, still be celebrating Valentine's Day together.


It all started in our single days- without any guys of our own, we went out for Valentine's day.  We remade it a day not of romance and love, but a day of friendship and fun!  Whether we were out drinking at a bar, or just watching movies and eating Taco Bell, we always made the best of the holiday.  A tradition was started, and although we certainly don't spend every single Valentine's day together now that I move all over the country- we have indeed spent a few (last year in Florida, one year in Dallas).  Quite honestly, especially now that we rarely see each other, I'd say a Valentine's Day when we get together just may be more special then a romantic Valentine's Day with my husband (oh yeah, I went there...hehe).  It's ok, not only does my sweetie Mike not mind, he actually said to me the other day "aww, you're going to be sad on Valentine's Day."  Me: "huh. why?"  Him: "because Rose isn't here."  True that.  I love that man for knowing this fact.

Anyway, the holiday is what you make of it, it doesn't have to be about candy hearts and sappy cards.  It can quite simply, just be another day to live it up.  Husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, best friends, whatever.  There's always fun to be had on Valentine's Day!

Cheers!


2 comments:

Rose said...

Awwww ... I will publicly admit, you made me cry! Happy Valentine's Day, my long-standing, never-let-me-down Valentine! :)

Erika said...

I'm behind on my blog reading. I came for the songs, but I'm glad I did. Love this post and I love you both :)