Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stay home mom-land

I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you something.  This motherhood thing?  I was born to do it.  No, really.  I know these days it's not necessarily as accepted to say you aspire to be a mom.  I mean, sure it's ok to want to be a mom, but so often we're also expected to have a career and all these other lofty aspirations.  Like somehow we're not good enough for making this choice instead of that choice. It gets even odder for me to say that I love, love my professional career that I exited to do this whole motherhood thing, and I in fact, can't wait to one day, when the time is right (hopefully) be back at it.  But when I was a kid, I'm not gonna lie, I really just wanted to be a mom (and a teacher and a nurse).  I wanted to be a mom like my mom was--those are some big shoes to fill!

Anyway, when you are in the working world, and make the decision to become a stay-at-home mom, phew- that transition is tough.  It's very surreal going from a world of dressing up, waking early, commuting, interacting with adults to the world of play dates, diaper changes, laundry, and keeping a kid alive and happy.  There is an adjustment period for sure.  I can't say there wasn't a time (think: sleep deprived, hormonal time), when I missed the working world and wondered if I made the right decision.  Ultimately, I knew I had though.  I was fairly firm in my belief that these short years of his life that he's not a full-time student, is a time period I will never get back again.  I cherish every moment I have with him.  I love watching him learn and figure things out.  I love teaching him.  I love loving him.  I consider myself lucky, and blessed, to be able to be a stay-at-home mom. 
 And no one reading this ought confuse it with a belief that anyone doing otherwise is in the wrong.  I am also a firm believer that the number one most important thing is that you are doing what is right for you and your family.  That will look different to everyone, and there's no need to compare yourself to what others are doing.  At the end of the day, just have no regrets about your choices.  I know I will never regret this time I've been given to do this job.

I only write this now, because I've been teasing myself lately with the fact that I'm starting to feel like your typical "soccer mom" (ha, well, without the soccer anyways).  In cliche fashion, I have joined a Bunco group with a bunch of other mom's I've met here; I've (gasp!) been looking at minivans; I volunteer to bring a craft project to my child's Valentine's day party; I've started knitting for pete's sake!  Last week, we were told to bring Valentine's for the kids at a playgroup party we were attending.  In my world this was translated to hand dipping and decorated chocolate covered pretzels and putting together 45 cutesy treat bags to attach the Valentine's to.  It's crazy what has become of me! :-)

This has also made me realize another thing (it's deep thoughts day here in livin' the dream land), yes, I have changed.  People always complain that parents have kids and they "lose themselves", become "different people".  You know what? Damn straight I'm different people!  My focus is entirely different then what it was 10 years ago.  My interests are entirely different.  The people around me are entirely different.  I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

So there it is.  My admission.  I am a stay-at-home mom and damn proud of it! 

And here's some pictures from our week:

The pretzels.
(thanks Chrissie for the drizzles!)

45 Valentine treat bags!

Craft for Matthew's school party tomorrow: 
(p.s. when I showed this to my husband, his reply was "wow. That turned out real nice. I didn't think you were creative."  Thanks dude.)

Sesame Street Live!!!
(I bought this Elmo toy, turned Daddy torture device for Matthew)

Waiting for show to start 

Hi cute stuff. 

Still trying to be entertained by the toy 

Attempting a mommy and Matthew picture. 
Never did get one where he was looking at the camera. 

Yay! Here they are! 
His chair-dance moves 

Cuddling up to Daddy in the backpack carrier 

Loving some nice weather again!
It's bike time!! 

1 comment:

Miranda said...

You look great Lynn! Those pretzels look delicious! The craft project is super cute!

I'm totally jealous. I'd love to stay home with my girls, sadly it's just not an option right now. But I too, feel like I was born to be a mommy.

Enjoy it!