Friday, May 16, 2008

Bedrest :-(

My morning did not turn out to be fabulous. I went to the specialist today for an appointment for a Biophysical Profile. Some of the things they look for are amniotic fluid levels, they have to see baby open and close his hands, he has to show breathing for 30 seconds, and some other things I don't remember. My child, who has been moving non-stop the past few days, was finally taking a rest, so it took lots of poking and belly jiggling to get him to wake up. Once he did, he passed with flying colors. So, what's the problem? Well, where do I begin? The amniotic fluid level was below normal, I had one of my labs from tuesday come back a bit abnormal, I had an episode of the absolute worst headache pain yesterday ( I mean, excrutiating...I was very close to having Mike take me to the hospital when I finally fell asleep), the day before that I started seeing some bright spots in front of my eyes....yada yada yada. So, although the blood pressure seems to look ok, the other symptoms leave the doctor worried. As well as the low fluid. After reviewing all that, he had me do a second ultrasound to measure the baby's growth. He's huge...so no scare there. My blood sugars have been high since I've started testing, so they say that's probably why he's measuring big. Pretty much, I was told drink a gallon of water a day and be on bedrest. And while he may be a lot more cautious than my regular OB, I will be as careful as I can.

He scared me with a lot of worst case scenerios once again, but basically, worst care scenerio...if I have more symptoms (headaches, eyes) then he thinks I will ultimately need to be admitted to the hospital to be closely observed until I deliver, which would likely be early. He reassured us that even if that were the case, the baby is probably far enough along that he would be ok (would probably need support for a while, but would have good outcome potential). But that's WORST case, and we are not near that yet. We're just in the "let's be way more cautious stage" right now. I had more labs drawn today, will do another 24 hour urine sunday, and get more labs drawn on Monday. My arms look like a pincushion, the bruising is not fun. (especially when it takes them 3 sticks to get blood).

So, because this was quite possibly the worst timing for this to happen (mike flies out tomorrow to go back to CA to meet the movers and finish up that house and will be gone until Thursday evening), my mom is flying in to be with me. I am the luckiest person in the world to have a mom who is so supportive and loving that she would drop anything to be here with me. The fact that I have a dog who needs to go for walks, and the potential (although slim) that I could be admitted and have the dog and all our stuff here, just freaked me out a little too much. Although she'll just be sitting around with me watching me "rest", it's a huge relief to know that I won't be here by myself. (Mom, I love you so much!)

So for now, I'm fine, baby is great. We could just use plenty of your thoughts and prayers for my health and for me to be pregnant as long as possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynnie!
Listen to your voice mail, I left you a message. I'm sorry you are going through all this, but very glad that baby boy is doing so well. If I don't talk to you tomorrow, I'll call you as soon as we get back from our trip. Enjoy your time with your Mom...believe it or not, there will come a day where you are wishing for "rest."
LOVE YOU!!!
Kel